Search This Blog

Wednesday 13 September 2017

Karachi

I spent my first night in Karachi at Mrs. V's. M. Amin Noorani Street, Kachi Memon Society, near Bahadurabad. It was a bungalow I was to get to know very well over the years.

I arrived late at night - the airport was the old Karachi Airport.It was stormed by terrorists in 2014 in June when my wife and I were on our way to the UK for a holiday. Our flight was delayed, but I got to meet Mansoor, an ex-student of mine and we chatted for some time. That was in the new Jinnah International Airport.

In March 1987, Zia ul Haq was in charge in the country. I was taken to the bungalow and after freshening up sent upstairs to sleep on the floor in an a.c. cooled room. That night is memorable - I heard the sounds of long whistles during the night, and half dreamed of large birds circling the house.

I woke to find myself in a room full of books and a wooden bust of William Shakespeare.
                                                        Jinnah International Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment