Search This Blog

Saturday 7 October 2017

My First Tuition

So I am now a geography teacher... There's a kind of contract, of sorts, more like a "gentleman's agreement" (the words of my old friend Shorty, whom we will meet). I am getting 4,000 rupees a month which makes some other source of income a necessity. The contract states I am employed to teach English and "any other subjects I choose."

That other source of income is home tuition - either at the student's home or mine. Being a bachelor and with the Spiderweb as my home, it's impractical to invite students over, especially girls.

Mrs Smythe has an immediate solution and tells me about a boy, Omer,  who needs a tutor. He lives in a huge house and the family has a "butler" - much to the giggling amusement of Mrs Smythe.;
Hill Park

Omer's house is quite near as the crow flies. I'll get to know Karachi's Hill Park on my daily visits to the tuition, as the large rather deserted recreational area lies between the Spiderweb and the house. Omer is a large boy. He studies at the school run by the U.S. and he, and his two rather large younger sisters, are ferried every day there in a very large, 4 x 4 Landcruiser cum troop carrier. It's silver and looks like it should belong in a fifties sci-fi movie, say, like "Forbidden Planet." Or even a Gerry Anderson Supermarionation spectacular.

Omer's family are very rich. There are artefacts everywhere: an old-fashioned and huge globe, a pair of white porcelain full-size dogs, a toilet with spotless tiles, a huge banquet-sized table where we sit and do our tuiting.



Omer's father is a dashing character, with shoulder length swept-back hair, and dazzling bright eyes. His whole family seem larger than life. His Uncle chacha (father's brother) has a huge booming voice and a jovial personality. I meet the Pakistani extended or joint family for the first time. Omer's mother fusses over me, feeding me and providing endless drinks during tuition timings.

They are a warm, loving and somewhat chaotic family, and it is clear Omer needed some order in his life and I am to provide it.


No comments:

Post a Comment