Search This Blog

Wednesday 25 October 2017

The Road Not Taken.


My long relationship with Religion (Capital R) began in my teens but intensified during a period of unemployment from 1981 to 1984. In college, Bulmershe College of Higher Education, I took a subsidiary course on Sikhism and Hinduism. During the four years that I was without a job, I began visiting Reading's Christian sanctuaries. I read about Buddhism, Zen Buddhism and Taoism. I joined the Transcendental Meditationists or TM-ers. I read and listened to, then visited Krishnamurti at  Brockwood.

I read, actually read, the Bible. I remember buying a Bible even in India where I travelled with Jones at the end of 1980 till May 1981. Eventually, I gave it away to some poor soul.
I inhabited Reading Library - then part of the Town Hall set of buildings. I read huge tomes about Christian theology. But I wasn't satisfied. I wanted to accept Christian belief and devotion, for I formed an affection for its founder, struggling with his struggles as portrayed through the New Testament.

I visited real religious communities to discuss my doubts.
Society of Friends (Quaker) Meeting House.

A Baptist Church.
The Christadelphians.
Bahai Faith Temple.
Christadelphian Church, Reading (Google Earth)
Quaker Meeting House, Reading.
I took the Imam of Reading Masjid to join in the worship. His visit wasn't reciprocated.
Seventh Day Adventist Church.
St. Mary's Church, Reading.
The Church of Jesus Christ and the Latter Day Saints (Mormons)
Every Saturday, a group of "Born Again" Christians would preach on a corner in Reading. I would attend and watch. I made a few friends but never joined.

No comments:

Post a Comment