Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 February 2018

Valentine's



On the 14th February 1990 - it was a Wednesday, I believe - I entered Islam officially by reciting the Shahada. Present were Dr. Ikram (a neighbour)  an Islamiyat teacher, Mr. Nasir and a chowkidar, Hafeez.

I was staying at the large flat behind the school, once shared with Niggle the other English born teacher. At the time of my acceptance, I was alone there.

I was told to shower until I was "squeaky clean" all over and pay particular attention to rinsing the mouth and nose.

In the evening I was sitting on the floor with my three witnesses.

After pronouncing the creed, I was led through my first prayer on a prayer mat.

The whole proceedings were peaceful and without problems, alhamdulillah.
Becoming a Muslim (the 's' is important as it is often pronounced as a 'z' which instigates a whole different root form in Arabic) is not the matter of a single decision, an overnight choice. I had been working towards it for years.From my time with M.Ayub to the two years in Sudan: I had been observing the day to day involvement of the religion and the people.

I had long built up a respect and even love for Christ - our Prophet Esa (Peace Be Upon Him)...But each time I was invited to make that final step, I balked and took a pace back. The technicalities of redemption were always a stumbling point. And the "leap" of Faith is exactly that - a jump into the unknown knowing you will be caught and cared for...

No comments:

Post a Comment